Monday, December 5, 2016

Gunpla #27 - HGUC Delta Plus Review

It's been almost a year since I built my last kit (Jegan ECOAS), and finally today, I completed the Delta Plus. It's become my first kit I built after living in Japan (started from last April). Tell the truth, I always want to build Delta Plus from long time ago, but somehow, I've always ended up buying another kit. Seriously, I took a great risk from building the Delta Plus since I used very inappropriate tools (too much bigger nipper and cutter), at a very inappropriate place (my laboratory), during inappropriate time (daytime, on week days). Fortunately, nobody found out what I did, and the result is (almost) perfect, and now, the kit's standing on top of my desk. I hope it could help lightening up my 'boring' and 'monotonous' daily academic life.

Delta Plus, as you may already know, was developed from the-never-constructed Delta Gundam during the Zeta Project. If only Anaheim Electronics' engineers could solve the problem with its frame strength, Char Aznable probably would get a transformable mobile suit instead of Hyaku Shiki. The Delta Plus is a perfect reminiscence of both Delta Gundam and Hyaku Shiki, during the Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn era.

Those "eyes" ... XD
This mobile suit is transformable between mobile suit mode and wave rider mode. And since it's a HG kit, we could just expect a "partsformer", instead of "transformer" mobile suit (no surprise here). Nevertheless, I love the Delta Plus design, not merely because its similarity with Hyaku Shiki, but also its color scheme (looks so militaristic) and of course, its ability to transform. The kit itself is quite solid and sturdy, no loose connections so far (for my case). The best part of this kit without a doubt are its sexy legs. The exposed "inner frame" gives a detail and complex feeling of the mobile suit. Furthermore, the design of the head is also top notch. I never get tired to see those menacing red eyes behind the transparent visor of Delta Plus.


Many reviews stated that this kit lacks articulation which I agree with. It's pretty difficult to pose the Delta Plus due the limited movement by shoulders, upper arm "skirt", waist, legs and head. I also think the beam rifle is a little bit to long, and when combined with the lack of open hands just makes shooting pose looks awkward.



Another drawback of this kit is the lack of accessories. You only get 1 beam rifle, 1 shield, 2 clear beam saber parts, 2 fix (closed) hands, 1 beam saber hand (right) and 1 beam rifle hand. That's all. I wonder why Bandai only gave us one beam saber hilt even though there are 2 beam saber parts. It's also disappointing to have only right beam saber hand since we could not handle it on the left hand (as MG Delta Plus).




Nevertheless, everybody know the main bonus offered by this kit: WAVE RIDER MODE! Just by looking at it, I'm sure nobody would deny that wave rider mode of Delta Plus is really amazing. It looks very similar with the fighters from Macross series.


The transformation was done by replacing some body parts with special transformation parts. Despite straightforward, the transformation is quite complicated, especially with the legs. Since there's a peg on the shield part, you'll have another option to put the beam rifle under the main body instead of under the wings as I shown here. Once it's finished and put on an action base, you could expect one of the best display on your desk. It's really beautiful to watch it again and again, thus I guess I'll leave it on this mode for awhile. 


  


My conclusion of this kit? Well, despite the lacks of articulation and accessories, HGUC Delta Plus is a solid kit with cool design, details and color scheme. The wave rider mode is the best part of this kit, and I suggest any UC fans should have it. 

----------------------

MSN-001A1 Delta Plus

Pros:
  • Cool design and badass color scheme
  • Sturdy parts and nice details
  • WAVE RIDER MODE!!
 Cons:
  • Lack articulations
  • Lack of accessories
  • Foil sticker only, no marking


2 comments:

  1. Hi. Thanks for your review. I'm wondering about the hguc vs mg color. I mean I haven't found a single reviewer who highlighted the color discrepency of the hguc as compared to what happened with the rozen Zulu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank you for your comment. HGUC Delta Plus has darker grey color tone compared to its MG counterpart which has lighter and greenish grey instead.

      Delete